Friday 13 November 2009

Music Magazine Title

It was a very important decision choosing the title of my magazine. There were many options for my title. I had to be very critical to narrow it down. The title of my magazine would be the basis for the whole genre and message. I had to think very carefully about what I was going to call it. These were my options:

Collect: The reasons in favour of this name were the fact that it definitely fits my magazine genre. My magazine genre is a collection of all genres put together, that is why this title defines my magazine. However, I thought this was too obvious, it makes the magazine seem simple and at the same time, doesn't sound like a music magazine.

Tune: Calling my magazine "Tune" was my first idea. I first decided on this as it sounded sharp and easy to read. It conforms to the norm of music magazine title and it would easily attract the reader. Also, it makes it obvious that it is a music magazine. I thought it would look appealing on the front cover. However, there were many disadvantages with this title. Firstly, it seems too conforming, my magazine is about different styles of music coming together this title does not personalise that.



A.M: This name stands for All Music but also has the connotations of A.M as in morning. This would be a good name as it has a double meaning, this gives it an edge and attracts readers because of the wit of the title. Also, it suggests the magazine is early, new and always on top of things, as if all the news in it is exclusive as the morning suggests early. However, I found this title to be unrecognisable and unmemorable. At first sight it gives you no hint to what the magazine is producing or saying.



Blender: This was one of my final choices, it really portrays the message of my magazine that it covers everything from dance and hip-hop to rock, alternative and R&B. This title would have been successful as it gives the reader an image which connotes many things and gives the magazine a personality by just the title, however, through my research of magazines I came across a magazine already called Blender. This made me recognise the importance of competition and research. It also helped me with inspiration for my magazine as I can now use Blender as help for my magazine as they have the same target audience and message.




Jigsaw: This title came to me through personal experience. It seemed to portray exactly what I wanted. It projects the image of a puzzle, which is what I desired. It creates the idea of irregular pieces put together to form the bigger picture which is a a metaphor for my magazine. The jigsaw pieces being different genres of music and the bigger picture being the whole music industry, all coming together to create a unity of all music. This gives me the creative ability to have a logo and for my font to fit the title and give it the whole package. This title is my final decision as it gives my magazine a character and suggests so many things about the contents of my magazine. Further more, it subverts the norm of successful British music magazines, NME, Q, Kerrang! and Mojo. These don't make you think of anything in particular, that is why i named my magazine Jigsaw. It is associated more with titles such as Blender and The Wire, these give a message in just one word and that was my aim with reaching the name of my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment