Thursday 19 November 2009

Font for my magazine title

The title for anything gives hints to the message of the object and is one of the key elements to stick in the readers head. I looked at various fonts, some simple, some complicated and tried to find the balance between the two. I did a small survey of 25 people and asked them which front cover they were most drawn to most and which was the most effective, I did this as I thought it would be useful in creating Colours are also important however, for most magazines every issue the colour changes so although I will have a colour theme for this issue, it will not be the general colour theme for my magazine. I simply looked at the fonts in black and white so i could focus on the details.



When analysing this title I thought it would suggest something different. This would be a key element as the public are always searching for something new, there are no magazines with a font this distinct. However, I then came across the problem when looking at the results of my survey. Only 4 people were drawn to this font. One of the people I asked, Bella Ryan said "I think it's quite unusual and gives me ideas of what the magazine could be about.", however, the people that didn't choose it had very different ideas, one person said "I don't think its timeless or versatile". Although I received four positive reviews the comments from the other people made me realise that this is not a timeless design and really makes my decision certain that this is the wrong font for my magazine.


I chose this font in the first place as it looked quite different to the first one and I wanted a range of fonts. I thought it had a subtle modern tone. Also, i felt that my magazine name said quite a lot so the font didn't need to be too eye-catching. However, only 5 people in my Survey chose this font. There collective reason was that it would work really well in quite a classic magazine presenting classic music that has already been established. However, when I revealed what my magazine genre was about they said that they really thought the front cover picture and subtitles would really have to stand out to get any attention at all. I concluded that this font was to "boring" and wouldn't connote anything unique to my reader.


I created this font from two different fonts, although the title says a lot about the name, it does become a bit too focused on the whole image of Jigsaw. However, 7 people chose this one showing its popularity. I think it is quite versatile and noticable as it is bold. The reason for dismissing this font was that I thought i focussed too extensively on the idea of the jigsaw and didn't maybe personalised it too much. I wanted to have something a bit simpler as the title does do a lot of the talking. Additionally, it seems quite immature and implies the audience is much younger.



This was my final choice for many reasons. Firstly, 9 people in my survey chose this one, making it the majority vote. Jess Masterson said "It sticks in my mind because its different also, it looks really modern and kind of fits well.". Also, I thought that it really looked like a music magazine but a modern one which is what i wanted. My magazine will present new music from all genres and that is what I wanted to create and this font seems to have quite a general appeal but at the same time is memorable. I really wanted to find the balance between characteristic and recognisable as a music magazine and I think with this I have.

2 comments:

  1. "I did this as I thought it would be useful in creating Colours are also important however, for most magazines every issue the colour changes so although I will have a colour theme for this issue, it will not be the general colour theme for my magazine"

    Nnena please rephrase your sentence: look at the first two lines from 'i did this...however'
    the syntax is wrong: I did this as i thought it would be useful in creating colours and because it is very important.However,.....

    The above option would be an alternative.

    Miss Ahmadian

    ReplyDelete
  2. However, good use of questionnaire data and thoughtful comment on font choice.

    ReplyDelete