Tuesday 24 November 2009

Layout

I then went to look at the two main layouts for a magazine. Most Magazines have the title at the top but there are different ways of producing the magazine.


Firstly, I looked at this sort of layout where nearly the whole title is covered. This layout is normally used when the magazine is very well known and has an established audience, the magazine doesn't need to attract new readers. If my magazine were to be published it would obviously be new which suggests the title would need to be seen. However, with my title this might have to happen, as the title is quite wide so covering one letter with the head of the interviewed person might not be that bad.



I then looked at a different layout, this layout does not cover the magazine title and the title is put to the left, this layout would be more attracting but as you can see this magazine has a lot going on, this suggests that it is looking for a new audience or hasn't been established but as we know NME is one of the most famous music magazine existing today. I think this style of layout shows a magazine that is screaming for an audience and looks like it is trying too hard.


This was another style I looked at. Here, we see the title is covering the cover images head, this gives the title of the magazine more importance and implies that the artist on the front is not as important as the name of the magazine.
I decided for my magazine to have the title at the top and the cover stars lower down. I didn't want the title to outshine the cover stars and I didnt want the cover stars to be dominating either so I went for this approach.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting connotational analysis, very design ofcused, recognising the importance of balancing image and text.

    ReplyDelete