Thursday 10 December 2009

My Front Cover Evaluation

INTRODUCTION

This is my final front cover. I had a few ideas for the end cover but I ended with this one. I am very pleased with it for many reasons. There were many difficult decisions involved in creating my front cover, colour theme, positioning and my cover image but I finally decided on this one.

COVER IMAGE

Firstly, I used these three girls, Imogen, Natasha and Zainab for my front cover band, Starter. I wanted to promote a band that has diveresity amongst the members. Here we have a mixture of skin colours and I wanted to represent all different people. I styled them in these bright, 80's style clothes as I thought this would symbolise their bands style which is modern but with a retro twist. Additionally, I asked them to look moody in the pictures, this was to create a sense of rebellion, it also counter-balances the bright, "happy" colours they are wearing. And this is linked to the double page spread interview, because we see they are actually really nice, friendly people but they have a rebellious edge which is the effect I wanted to create.

BAND TITLE

Furthermore, I wanted to continue this edgy look with the style of their title. I had many different ideas for the title but I finally decided on this. This was for many reasons, firstly, I really liked the colour, It was also bright and I drew from colours in the picture, the coat of one of the band members, I did this as it would connect to the band and there would be more of a colour scheme. I then turned the "e" around. I did this because I wanted a similar effect to ones of bands from the 80's such as "Talking Heads" And "Blondie" but with a modern twist of the colour scheme. This style really made the band appear unique and that is definetely the effect I wanted. I put a glow on the font as well, this was to also make it stand out because I really wanted the band to be assosiated with that name.


COLOUR THEME

I wanted to go for a colour theme that suited my band. I used bright colours such as orange, pink and yellow to suggest raves and rebellion. The colours are matched to the colours that the band are wearing. I also used a lot of pink to create a sense of girlieness because after all, they are a girlband, with an edge.


OTHER FEATURES

In the corner, I used photoshop to put some duct tape in the corner. I did this to create an edgy, and "cheeky" feeling about the magazine. The duct tape makes it look professional as in many magazines they have images like this edited in. For example, the sticker used in this front cover. It looks messy but obviously in intentionally to make it look a bit rebellious. However, I think mine takes it to the next level because it is very "cool" and also shows an aggressive side to the magazine. Also, the way "We are the present, past and future" is written looks quite futuristic on that band across. It also gives it importance on the front cover. Finally, I believe the issue number, the price and the bar code add authenticity to the front cover.








1 comment:

  1. Interesting analysis, clear sense of audience and context for your cover and band

    ReplyDelete